Saturday, January 15, 2011

Post holiday blues...

I love the holidays! I love going into a store and it not only does it smells like Thanksgiving and Christmas but it also looks and smells like chaos. Now I know that sounds weird but maybe I'm smelling the stress people are feeling when the holidays arrive or maybe it's all the food that they have in their bags; but for some reason I can smell the chaos that's running around during the holiday season, or I've just been working in retail for too long. I also feel as though I get a sort of rush during the holiday season especially because I work in a store that covers everything needed for the holidays from dinnerware to glassware to decorating both the outside and especially the inside of the house.

The rush that we get at Pier 1 is awesome!!! One minute we'll go from dealing with one to two customers to dealing with a line that reaches the end of the store. All the wrapping, all the phones calls, the bagging, the yelling, the tapping. All the customers we have come in, especially the ones who come in and are in a hurry and need a quick gift. I love knowing I can point to something and sell it to them without really trying. I love how at the end of the day we all want to pass out from exhaustion because we've been running around like crazy not only helping customers but also trying to get our homes and presents ready as well. I love it all!!

I love walking down a block and seeing how the neighbors decorate their homes and then feel sad for those that don't. I'm always tempted to run to the door and ask them if I could decorate their house but then I think they would call the cops on me and tell them "that there is a crazy lady trying to decorate my house for Christmas. please arrest her." I especially love walking into my house and seeing how festive and full of life it is. From October-January the inside of the house is completely decorated from ceiling to floor with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas decorations we go a little crazy...or rather my sister and I go a little crazy.

We compete to see who can go crazier but we're completely neutral when it comes to Thanksgiving. Then comes January and everything has to come down and the house is back to pretty self but I always get a little sad because I liked how festive and crazy everything looks including the stores. I especially love the way Macy's and Pier 1 Imports looks when its ready for the Christmas season, it looks so beautiful and festive and just makes me soooo happy. Then come January its all gone, all the scents, chaos, the rush, cheerfulness, cards, all the magic that comes with the holidays is all gone. That's when I get sad. So here are my questions to all of you...what do you love about the holidays? Do you get sad once the holidays are over?

1 comment:

  1. I love Thanksgiving because I get to eat a lot of food, watch football, and spend time with people that could give a rats ass about me (in a good way).

    I'm not really sad about the passing of holidays. I spend too much money! Which is another great thing about Thanksgiving. No Dinero. Truly Awesome. Food, Friends, Family, Sleep, other things, etc. But no dinero!!

    ReplyDelete