Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Waiting...

There are many things I wait for, I wait for dinner while my mother or a friend cooks it, I'll wait for weeks for a good movie or book to either come to the big screen or to come in the mail, I wait for the train as I wait to get back to school, I wait for money to come in and typically I am very patient but here's my question how long do I wait for a friend before I call quits and go home? I made two appointments today to visit with two good friends, whose names will be changed to Mark, and Darien. Mark showed up after he got of work, he even called to a) make sure I was at the designated place and to tell me that he needed a cigarette so he was going to be a few minutes late. Mark was considerate enough to call me and let me know so that I would not be sitting there wondering "where is this punk?" Very sweet and responsible. Now the other one is my best friend Darien, who incidentally called me this morning very excited to tell me that he had found my Christmas present, which are Sapphire earrings. Now when he first told me what he had gotten I didn't want to believe him until I saw the earrings because I've had men in the past tell me they had gotten me a present for whatever reason but what a coincidence when it came time to giving it to me they would either A) forget them day after day or B) misplace them. So most of the time I would get very excited but then would wind up disappointed because in the end I realized they never got me anything they were just pulling the old "I got you something but..." and usually I got this line whenever I got them something and they weren't expecting it. Now typically I don't really care whether or not a person gets me a present because I love to give people presents especially when they don't expect them. Now you may be asking yourself if I don't care then why am I ranting well here's why. I told him I'd be at the designated place around 3:00 I told him he told me to call him when I had arrived; which I did I texted when I had arrived and settled in. To which he responded that he was in class, which I didn't know about, so I thought and responded "oh ok, well I'll be here for a while get here when you can." That was at 2:45, I thought "ok, in my experience classes on Tues and Thurs tend to run a later than classes on Mon, Wed, Fri because typically those classes only meet twice a week. So I thought "ok he might be done around 4:00 or maybe a little later so I'll wait" Meanwhile my awesome friend Mark looked really tired so I told him to go home and get some rest, that was a little after 4:30 and still no show, no call from my friend Darien. So I thought ok well maybe he's stuck in traffic or something I'll give him a little more time, finally at 5:17 I texted him asking if he forgot about me, to which he reapplied no 'I"m still in the process of moving." To which I said "Oh" then he responded "sorry kiddo". I responded "It's ok." Even though in the back of my head I was thinking "why didn't you tell me any of this before?! It would have been nice to know that I might not see you at all today!" I'll admit it's 5:58 and I've lost feeling my butt because I've been sitting in the same chair for almost 3 hours and yet now I am not only waiting for him, but now I'm waiting for a movie to start just to give him a little more time, in case he is able to make it. Ok now just to remind you this is the same Darien that I have mentioned before, the one that I love very much as a friend and as more. So here' s my question "how much longer do I wait?" Do I continue waiting in hopes of not only seeing him and these so called earrings or do I call it a night and go home? Here's my other question "why the hell do we do this?' Why in the hell do we sit and wait for men? Why do continue thinking that if we continue waiting that they'll show up when the reality is they are not going to show up.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, as a dude I know I shouldn't comment on this, but my fingers want to keep moving.... Can't stop them.... aaahhhh... ok, I've worked it out in my head and the brain says stop. I wish you well with this situation. I know you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had that happen too! At times when I'm writing these rants and thoughts at times my brain can't keep up with my fingers.

    ReplyDelete